HAS YOM HASHOAH BECOME JUST ANOTHER MEANINGLESS DAY IN TIME?
Yom Hashoah starts the evening of May 4th, 2016 and ends on May 5th, 2016
Now is a perfect time to tell the rest of the world that we stand together as Jews, both in memorializing those who perished in the Shoah, and in support of Israel.
We must reach out to the members of FJMC and stress the importance of the Yellow Candle Program, and in so doing, increase the purchase of Yellow Candles from FJMC, for distribution.
Some of the many ways for distributing the Yellow Candles is to do so after Shabbat Services (no money is collected at that time); by setting up a distribution center in synagogue during special events, and by personal delivery where necessary. This can save you hundreds of dollars in postage, if not significantly more.
By ordering your candles early, major discounts apply: up to $11.00 per case if ordered by December 31st; up to $9.00 per case if ordered before January 20th; and full retail if ordered before April 1st (last day to order candles). Maximize your savings and order early!
Show “the world” your candles by placing them in a window for all to see. Combine purchasing power by inviting Catholic Churches (many Catholic priests were murdered during the Shoah) and Reform synagogue groups to order thru your group as well. Discounts are based on the total number of cases you order.
The Candle is a symbol of awareness. “Light a candle and preserve a memory.” Light a candle and support our vow, to never forget! You can do this…try to raise your order from last year by a few cases and help make a statement that YOU CARE!
With all that is going on in the world today we must work harder to stand up and be counted. This is just another way to do just that!
Remember, the Yellow Candle was created to keep the memory alive, of the Yellow Star that all Jews in Europe were forced to wear.
Contact Art Stark; Florida Yellow Candle Coordinator
Top Ten Reasons Your Club Should Participate
- Show leadership for your club and shul to your community –Participation means by supporting and acknowledging the Shoah and what was lost.
- An Opportunity for Your Club to Work with Other Groups – Share you Jewish Values with other organizations – e.g. Sisterhood, USY, Reform congregations, churches, schools, Hillels, & others.
- Great way to get Your Congregation’s Rabbi More Involved. Your Rabbi can become a real partner with your Club. Work with your Rabbi to play a key role in promoting and implementing your Yom ha-Shoah program.
- Wonderful way to get More Men and Children Involved – Have them pack and deliver candles. Many clubs organize a Candle Packing Night during which they order in pizza – another excuse (or opportunity) to…
- It’s Fun to get Together With Friends (New and Current) – Meet to plan and implement Yom HaShoah programming. Great deal of satisfaction!
- Boost the Prestige of Your Men’s Club in the congregation –
Demonstrate your Club’s ability to organize and run an important program on a topic that should be of concern and interest to everyone Jewish. Go to the FJMC website to
- It can be a Fund Raiser – Many clubs raise money by sending out candles along with a solicitation letter; others simply charge for candles outright. If you’re stumped for fund raising ideas, your friendly FJMC consultants can help!
- Need to Educate Future Generations. The Yellow Candle Program offers all kinds of opportunities for your Men’s Club and your synagogue to carry on the important mission of teaching people the lessons of the Shoah.
- Leave a Legacy – For yourself and your club. Pass along this tradition that can instill the passion and responsibility into others to pay if forward.
- Remember the Victims of the Shoah.
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” – George Santayana
To Order Your Candles:
Visit the website at: www.yellowcandles.org
E-mail FJMC at: [email protected]
Call FJMC toll free at: 1-800-391-7293